sunscreen people

Most people love the sun and summer and can’t wait to strip down to next to nothing, sit in the sun and enjoy a cool drink. Just thinking about it makes you daydream about white sands and palm trees, doesn’t it? Well, it’s one thing to dream about sitting in the sun and another to actually do it, because the sun is quite a killer and without proper protection it can do some serious damage to our skin and even cause melanoma (the deadliest type of skin cancer). In today’s article we’ve got 10 facts about UV exposure. Remember, always use sunscreen and if you do burn, turn to some home remedies for sunburn!

10. UV Exposure Causes Genetic Mutationsgenetic mutations

One of the most amazing facts about UV exposure is that exposure to the ultraviolet radiation will cause genetic mutations that eventually lead to the development of melanoma or other types of skin cancer. The tan itself if our skin’s way of trying to stop DNA damage from happening. Isn’t it weird that we think that our body’s struggle to keep us from getting cancer is sexy?

9. July is UV Safety Monthnational uv safety month

Celebrate UV safety month by wearing sunscreen and educating yourself and your loved ones about the dangers of UV exposure, melanoma and skin cancer. We all know people who refuse to protect their skin against the harmful rays of the sun. Talk to them and maybe you’ll convince them to wear some sunscreen and you may even save their life!

8. Babies and the Sunbabies and sun

The American Cancer Society suggest that young children, such as infants be kept out of direct sunlight. All children should wear protective clothing, hats and also sunscreen with an SPF of 50 or more. Children need extra protection because they burn easier than adults do. Educate your children about the dangers of UV exposure.

7. Healthy Tanshoney bronze shimmering dry oil

There is such a thing as a healthy tan and it comes from a spray bottle. If you really enjoy the color of a tanned skin, then purchase a spray tan and go wild. These days these products are getting better. Try The Body Shop Honey Bronze Shimmering Dry Oil, it’s amazing!

6. People are Ignoring the Riskssunscreen people

Although the amount of studies that have showed UV radiation causes cancer is overwhelming, many people are ignoring the risks and simply refuse to take any cautionary measures, such as wearing sunscreen. A recent study has found that 50.1% of all adults reported that they’ve suffered a sunburn in the past year. This can only mean that they have not worn sunscreen.

5. Tanning Beds are Still Populartanning beds

As we’ve mentioned above, UV radiation is extremely harmful and people know it. Still, tanning beds are extremely popular with young people. A 2012 study revealed that 35% of adults have used tanning beds at least once. Tanning beds will cause an additional 450,000 non-melanoma and 10,000 melanoma skin cancer cases every year. For more tips on how to stay safe from UV exposure, check out this helpful article.

4. UVA and UVB Damagesunburn damage

UVA radiation in tanning beds can be 12 times higher than that of the sun! UVA radiation penetrates the deep skin layer known as the dermis, which causes skin aging and wrinkles. UVB causes the reddening of the skin (sunburn), because it damages the outer layers of the skin (epidermis).

3. UV Radiation and Wavebands


UV radiation has three different wavebands: UVC, UVB and UVA. The first one has the highest amount of energy, but it has the shortest wavelength, which means that it does not reach the surface of the earth and thus it does not cause skin damage to us. UVA radiation makes us for 95% of the radiation that reaches us and UVB accounts for the rest of 5%. Both UVA and UVB cause skin damage.

2. UV Radiationmelanoma

UV, or ultraviolet radiation is the main cause of skin cancer in the world. UV radiation is to blame for 90% of melanoma skin cancers. Aside from skin cancer, the UV radiation can also cause eye diseases, such as cataract and eye cancers. The World Health Organization has officially included UV radiation as a human carcinogen.

1. Protection Against UV Radiationin the shade

So, what is there to do to protect ourselves against the sun’s harmful radiation? Here are a few things:

  • Always wear sunscreen!
  • Stay in the shade if possible and avoid staying outside when the sun is at its strongest.
  • Wear a hat with wide brims.
  • Wear sunglasses that have both UVA and UVB radiation protection.
  • Don’t use tanning beds.

Do you have any more facts about UV exposure you would like to add? We would love to hear from you, as we’re always open to more tips about how to take better care of our bodies. Drop us a comment in the section below!