The fame of Dresden is closely related to the musical tradition and the Dresdner Kreuzchor boys choir is internationally recognized for more than 500 years. The music festival that takes place every year attracts millions of tourists eager to rediscover the works of Weber, Wagner and Strauss. In addition to music and art, starting with the Baroque period, Dresden was the place where many inventions or innovative ideas have arisen, such as the first porcelain made in Europe (Meissen porcelain), the first railroad built for long distances, the first German Pilsener beer, coffee filter, SLR camera, tube of toothpaste or mouthwash. Despite suffering damage during the Second World War, the old town of Dresden has preserved and regained its prewar architectural harmony and the most impressive symbols and sights are:
The Semper Opera House of Theaterplatz, originally known as Hoftheater, was built between 1871 and 1878 after the plans of Gottfried Semper, being one of the most beautiful theater buildings of the 19th century and is also the only theater in Germany named after its architect. The Opera house was completely destroyed in 1945 and reopened 40 years later in 1985. Over time, the Opera house has seen many events and musical premiers and now, the Dresden State Orchestra is one of the most famous orchestras in the world.
Zwinger is a sumptuous interior of a medieval fortress that was conducted built between 1710 and 1738 by King Augustus the Strong’s desire by the architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann and the sculptor Balthasar Permoser. If the initial project involved the construction of a market designed for festivals, with time many works of art decorated the pavilions and galleries of this famous building complex, designed in the Baroque style. The Nymphenbad fountain catches the eye of every tourist.
The Royal Palace was built in the late 15th century on the ruins of a former medieval castle and has a superb Neo-Renaissance facade, Hausmannsturm 100 m high tower is the oldest one of the palace.
The Catholic Church is the cathedral of the Diocese Dred – Meissen and was built in the mid 18th century by the Italian architect Gaetano Chiaveri as a basilica with three naves and four chapels. The 83.5 m high tower has a unique beauty and the luxurious interior of the church includes an organ made by master Gottfried Silbermann, and inside is the crypt where the heart of Augustus the Strong was buried.
5. Brühlsche Terrasse
In the 18th century, Brühlsche Terrasse actually represented a huge private garden of minister Heinrich von Brühl, whose name bears today. A century later, the terrace was transformed into a beautiful promenade accessible to everyone and offers a lovely view of the former parliament building, the Frauenkirche and the Academy of Art. On the banks of the nearby Elbe is anchored the oldest fleet of ships in the world, some of the ships having over 100 years old and still fully functional.
Named by the locals the Stone Bell, it is situated in Neumarkt square and is the largest Protestant church , built between 1726 -1743 after drawings by George Bähr . Destroyed by bombing in 1945 , church, being rebuilt 60 years later, using a large number of pieces of marble recovered from the rubble.
7. Altmarkt or Old Market Square
Altmarkt or Old Market is the oldest market in Dresden and many events are held here throughout the year, including Striezelmarkt, considered the oldest Christmas market organized on the occasion. Destroyed during the Second World War, the Altmarkt market and surrounding buildings were rebuilt between 1953 and 1956, maintaining the Baroque style and in 1969 the Palace of Culture and was raised in the north part of the market.
8. Church of the Holy Cross
Kreuzkirche was built on the site of an old church that belonged to the 13th century, called Nikolaikirche. The present church was completed between the years 1764 and 1800 in Late Baroque and early classical style, and can accommodate up to 4,000 people. The church tower provides a unique view of the city and the River Elbe valley. Kreuzchirche is recognized both for Kreuzchor Dresden boys choir and the fact that here take place the official masses held by the regional bishop of the Protestant community.
The City Hall was built between 1904 and 1910 by architects Karl Roth and Edmund Brater. The 98 meters high tower overlooks the city through the mythological gilded statue of the Greek hero Hercules.
10. Prager Strasse
A complete walk through the old city center ends with Prager Strasse, Altmakt or Wilsdruffer Strasse, considered the main commercial streets of the city with all sorts of shops and restaurants and cafes.