I don’t know whether the microwave is good for our health or not, but one thing is for sure: it makes things faster. And I’m not talking about just heating your lunch or dinner. There are various easy recipes, perfect to be prepared in the microwave. Recipes courtesy of: Total Beauty, Food, Delish, All Recipes, My Recipes.
1. Baked Apples with Frozen Yogurt
- 2 apples
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp butter
- Frozen yogurt
Core the apples, leaving the bottom intact. In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon the sugar mixture into the apples and set a teaspoon of butter on top of each apple. Place the apples in a deep casserole dish and cover with wax paper. Microwave for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until tender. Let the apples sit for a couple minutes before topping with frozen yogurt. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top, then serve.
2. French Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 3 teaspoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 6 teaspoons milk
- 1 pinch paprika
Put the potato slices to soak in cold water. Put the onion rings into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and pierce. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Grease a five cup casserole dish with a little of the butter. Layer the drained potatoes and onions in the dish, starting and finishing with the potatoes. Season each layer with salt and pepper. Pour the milk over the potatoes and dot with the rest of the butter. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Cover with plastic wrap, and pierce. Microwave on HIGH for 13 minutes. Rotate half-way through cooking time.Allow to stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
3. Omelet in a mug
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp diced green bell pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
Combine egg, egg whites, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, salt, and ground pepper in a microwave-safe mug coated with non-stick spray. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Return to microwave and cook until eggs are completely set, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Sprinkle cheese on top and serve.
4. Ravioli with Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pound(s) ripe tomatoes, chopped, about 4 cups
- 1/2 cup(s) (packed) fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly grated lemon peel
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bag(s) (18-ounce) microwavable cheese ravioli
- 1/4 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In large bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, lemon peel, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes to blend flavors. Meanwhile, cook ravioli in microwave as label directs. Add hot pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan to serve.
5. Microwave Oven Peanut Brittle
- 1 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Grease a baking sheet, and set aside. In a glass bowl, combine peanuts, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Cook in microwave for 6 to 7 minutes on High (700 W); mixture should be bubbly and peanuts browned. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Quickly stir in baking soda, just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes, or until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.
6. Braided Salmon
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) skinless salmon fillet
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Combine ginger, salt, and peanut oil in a small bowl. Brush over fillet; set aside. Combine onions, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Cut salmon vertically into 3 (15 x 1-inch) ropes; reserve remaining salmon for another use. Braid ropes; secure with wooden picks. Place braid in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Cover dish with plastic wrap. Microwave at high for 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 2 minutes. Microwave at high 2 minutes. Remove the dish from the microwave. Drizzle onion mixture over fish.
7. Maple-Glazed Sausages and Figs
- 2 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 2 package(s) (12 ounces each) fully cooked chicken and roasted garlic sausages
- 8 ripe fresh figs, each cut lengthwise in half
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pound(s) Swiss chard, stems sliced and leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat toaster oven to 450 degrees F. In small bowl, stir syrup and 1 tablespoon vinegar until blended. Place sausages and figs in single layer on foil-lined toaster oven tray, and lightly brush with half of syrup mixture. (If your toaster oven is small, you may need to cook the sausages and figs in two batches.) Roast 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through and golden, turning over and brushing with remaining syrup mixture halfway through roasting. Meanwhile, place onion in microwave-safe large bowl. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on High 3 minutes. Add chard to onion; cover and microwave 9 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once. Stir in oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar. Serve chard with figs and sausages.
8. Microwave Chocolate Mug Brownie
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
In a 12 oz coffee mug, add water, butter, vanilla and dash of salt. Whisk well. Add cocoa powder, whisk well. Add sugar, whisk well. Add flour, whisk well. Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Center should be slightly molten. Careful not to overcook.
9. Homemade Low Calorie Potato Chips
- 1 large potato, scrubbed clean and sliced wafer thin
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- salt or seasoning
Pour oil in a plastic Ziploc baggie, along with whatever seasoning or spice preferred. Put potato slices in bag. Blow up the bag and quickly seal it shut. Shake vigorously until all the slices are coated. Arrange slices in a circle on a microwave-proof plate. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Turn chips over and re-arrange them so they cook evenly. Microwave again for 2 minutes. Turn. Watch them carefully and microwave again for about 2 minutes or until they start to brown. They must brown a little in places or they will not crisp up. Remove and let cool.
10. Citrus-Spiced Couscous
- 1 orange
- 2 medium carrots, coursely chopped
- 1 small (4- to 6-ounce) onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1 package(s) (10-ounce) couscous
- 1/4 cup(s) blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 package(s) frozen peas, thawed
- 8 ounce(s) skinless, boneless roasted turkey breast, in one piece, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup(s) (packed) fresh mint leaves, chopped
From orange, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/3 cup juice. In microwave-safe large bowl, combine carrots, onion, oil, cumin, and cinnamon. Microwave on High 5 to 6 minutes or until carrots and onion are just softened. Into vegetables in bowl, stir broth, water, and orange peel; cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave 5 minutes longer. Stir in couscous; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Meanwhile, in microwave-safe small bowl, microwave almonds on High 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. To couscous, add peas, turkey, mint, orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Sprinkle couscous with slivered almonds to serve.