10 Awesome Movie Quotes That Made History
It’s not often that we get the chance to witness a paradox within our own pages, but today we’re confronted with this issue: are these awesome quotes by themselves or are they awesome because of their context? Honestly, it doesn’t matter because if you haven’t seen the movies from which we selected these quotes, then you probably haven’t lived!
1. “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship” said Rick Blaine, interpreted by Humphrey Bogart, in Casablanca (1942). Over 90 years since that line was spoken and it still gives some of us goose bumps.. Here’s lookin’ at you, Mr. Bogart, you cool cat you!
2. “Bond. James Bond.” How awesome is this? Sean Connery first said it in 1962’s Dr. No and it’s been said ever since in all of the James Bond movies! What more can we say? This character just introduces himself and everyone starts cheering – you don’t get much more awesome than that!
3. “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” A perfect line, proving that it’s not what you say, but how you say it! Marlon Brando’s character Vito Corleone couldn’t have been absent from this list so The (awesome!) Godfather (1972) gets our kiss of allegiance on its ring.
4. “You talkin’ to me?” said the Master of Acting, Robert De Niro a.k.a. Travis Bickle in his 1976 movie Taxi Driver. This awesome quote became an in instant favorite and a mandatory rhetorical question from any character who tried to look tough. We will just silently give it its well-deserved place in the 10 Awesome list and carefully back away now.
5. “May the Force be with you!” has been said many times over the years by thousands of people, but not quite as awesome as Yoda said it in Star Wars (1977). It has been a tough choice picking this line over the well-known “Luke, I am your father!” but we figured the latter is way more traumatic than a rogue smuggler, space captain finally accepting the Force (of Good) into his heart. Moving on! Punch it, Cheewie!
6. “E.T. phone home.” Let’s just take a second, a deep breath and all together now: Awwwww-some! Spielberg’s “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” (1982) still makes hearts, old and young, melt all over the world. These few but wonderful words take us all back to our childhood so E.T.’s line couldn’t be missing from the list. Also, it’s a fun line to say when a friend whips out one of those flashy, sparkly cell phones.
7. “Go ahead, make my day.” Sudden Impact indeed when Clint Eastwood’s character – Harry Callahan, says that to you. That tone, that look in his eyes… whoa! Makes a fire freeze and the bad guys tremble in their boots! An awesome quote from 1983 from the man whose line is a lot scarier than his Magnum.
8. “Say hello to my little friend!” since we’re staying in 1983 and among tough guys. Tony Montana is already a legend because of undeniably awesome Al Pacino. Scarface has earned its place among many movie tops and it’s truly an honor to have it here in this list with this perfect line. Can you think of a better one when pulling out a big-ass gun? (or a skunk, if you’re Ace Ventura)
9. “I’ll be back!” said Arnold Schwarzenegger and he didn’t lie, ‘cause he kept coming back more awesome each time. Well… almost. Still, no simpler words were as funny, cool and ominous at the same time as the Terminator’s in 1984. This was one bad dude and that was perhaps the last thing anyone would have liked to hear coming from a time-traveling assassin cyborg. Maybe except… “Hasta la vista, baby!”
10. “You can’t handle the truth!” and the truth is Col. Nathan R. Jessup interpreted by Jack Nicholson was awesome! Either love him, hate him, love to hate him or hate to love him, this super actor and his line made history and our list for sure! A Few Good Men (1992) is definitely a memorable film and a great example of awesome acting. Also… we have ALL used that line at one point or another, haven’t we? We salute you, sir!